This is our lifeboat. It is an Atlantic 85 class RNLI lifeboat – designed and built in-house by the RNLI at it’s Inshore Lifeboat Center in Cowes, Isle of Wight.
This RIB can be brought back upright if she is capsized by a heavy sea. She has twin engines so she can carry on after a single engine failure, if the steering fails we have emergency steering mechanisms… The list is endless. She also has water ballast in her bow which the crew can dump and fill whenever they need to, allowing them to have intricate control over her sea handling and, if it is calm enough, her top speed.
THE ATLANTIC 85
- Length overall: 8.3m
- Maximum beam: 2.9m
- Draught: 0.5m(engines raised)/0.9m (Engines fully down)
- Displacement: 1.8 tonnes (fully fuelled and equipped but without crew)
- Engines: 2 x 115hp Yamaha 4-stroke inversion proofed outboard engines
- Speed: 35 knots
- Endurance: 2.5 hours at maximum speed
- Crew: 3 or 4
- Maximum operating conditions: Sea conditions associated with onshore winds of force seven.